Carol asked me to describe the layers, back to front, so today I photographed each layer. I also took a more detailed shot of the magnets holding it all together.
The bottom magnets are the half inch cylindrical, then after the first six, I changed over to smaller cylindrical, trying to avoid weighing the piece down when it's hanging.
Each layer has a circle burned out of it, then that circle is reattached with some loose hand stitching.
My thinking is that it will never fit back the way it was originally.
Here the photos get a little weird, I believe because of some refraction.
While we were photographing,
we both noticed
that we liked the layers
and nine (below)
more than the finished layer ten. It seems like ten is taking it one or two layers too far. With eight and nine, you can still see some depth, but ten seems a little shallow. I think this may end up and eight layered piece.